CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Are you ready for Thanksgiving yet?

Yep that's right it is right around the corner-2 weeks from Thursday to be exact!

So what is your plan? Do you go big? Do you go to a restaurant? (please tell me you don't), or is it just you the hubs and the kiddos?

Do you cook the food or anything? Or does your mom or MIL do it all? Or maybe it is like us, a few of us cook things and bring it all together at my MIL's house.

Every year I do the same things: Turkey (yes this is my job!), Cranberry sauce-none of that jelly from a can for me, and a pumpkin pie. I always get so excited about the turkey and also so nervous! I mean I am responsible for the main center piece of everyone's Thanksgiving dinner!

We use to do the fry thing and yes it was good but a few years ago we decided to try traditional in the oven. It was so good, I have fiddled with it a couple of times and last year it was AWESOME so I plan on doing the same thing this year.

So here ya go for your reading pleasure and also to make you good and hungry.

I brine my turkey-Alton Brown from the food network swears by it and lets face it the guy knows what he is talking about so I trust him. Basically it is just soaking your turkey in a salt water (a few other spices) bath for about 8 hrs. It does something with something (kinda science talk I don't understand) but it makes it very juicy.

Brine:

2 gallons cold water
1 C salt
1 C Brown Sugar
2 oranges cut into wedges
2 lemons cut into wedges
1T dry thyme
couple of Bay leaves
Rosemary

What I do is pour all of it into a trash bag then put the turkey in then I stick it all in a cooler (I mean who has a fridge big enough for this) with ice outside the garbage bag. I do this the evening before so it soaks for hours before I cook it Thanksgiving morning.

Then take it out drain all the water out and stick it in the roasting pan. I then rub mine with a Roasted Garlic Sage Butter recipe I saw Bobby Flay do once. Here are his instructions for it.

Roasted Garlic-Sage Butter:

2 sticks unsalted butter, slightly softened
1 head roasted garlic, cloves removed- I just used regular minced garlic because I didn't know how to roast a whole garlic
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons fresh sage, finely chopped-I used dry so use less if you do this

Preparation

Combine the butter, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor and process until smooth. Scrape the mixture into a bowl and fold in the sage. The butter can be made 1 day in advance and stored covered in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before using.

Preheat the oven to 425°F.

Rub the entire turkey, including the cavity with the Roasted Garlic-Sage butter and season well with salt and pepper.
Place the turkey on a rack and place the rack into a large roasting pan. Add 2 cups of chicken stock to the bottom of the pan and transfer to the oven. Roast the turkey for 30 minutes then reduce the heat to 375°. Begin basting (after 30 minutes) with the stock/pan drippings every 15 minutes, adding more stock to the bottom of the pan, if needed. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest part of the breast registers 160 degrees, about 3 1/2-4 hours.. Remove the turkey from the oven, and let the turkey rest, loosely tented, for at least 15 minutes before slicing

Man I wish I had a picture of my masterpiece but who knew last Thanksgiving I would be addicted to Blogger and want to share it with the world.

Hope you try it and it turns out well. YUMMY I can't wait.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

This sounds so delicious!! I'm not doing the turkey this year but I've been curious about brining for a while!

TattooedMinivanMom said...

Interesting...a brine. Love Alton Brown's tips.

GNO Gals, Jyl and Carissa said...

Your post was featured today on http://mommygossip-gno.blogspot.com.

Thanks for your submission!

Sincerely,

jyl
Mommy Gossip—GNO

Brandy said...

This is a little different than the one I found from Alton, but that man is a genius.

Too bad I bought my turkey already buttered and seasoned. I'm thinking oven bag and prayer will work. Next year, back to the brine.

Congrats on being featured!