CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Drake

We are suffering a great loss right now. Now some of you might not quite understand our feelings but they are real and they hurt like hell.

Today we had to make one of those decisions that you never want to make. A decision that we have known was coming for a little while, but we were just happy to have a little more time to let him help us make the decision. Today was the day, the day he would hurt no more. The day he would get to eat bacon for breakfast and then most of daddy's bagel. The last ride in daddy's truck.

Drake was our baby before we had babies. We got him way back before we were even married. He was so little bitty.


He LOVED to go hunting with Shane and would whine like crazy in the morning as soon as he saw lights on in the house. This past winter he wasn't able to hunt anymore and it broke Shane's heart to go get Jet out and have to leave him behind barking because despite his age he still wanted to get out there.


He had lost his hearing, well sometimes that is, I think alot of it was old age stubbornness or selective hearing. He may have been Shane's dog, but he has always loved everyone. Given the opportunity he was a real momma's boy and even when he was big would try to crawl into my lap. He has always been tolerant of all the new dogs, knowing in his heart he would always be number one. He has fathered many and thankfully his legacy will live on thru Suzie our yellow girl, her mother is Drake's daughter.

He will be greatly missed by all of us. Wyatt is old enough now to understand and was heart broken, Drake has been a fixture in his life. This past summer the dogs became Wyatt's job he fed them everyday, I loved looking out the door to see him standing out there just petting him. Shane is a not an emotional guy and seeing his pain over this has been very hard. But now I know he is chasing more ducks than he knows what to do with:)


his last hunting trip


Just a couple weeks ago when it snowed


8 comments:

Kurt and Samantha said...

I can't imagine what you all are going through, sorry to read about this. Thinking of you

Smoochiefrog said...

BTDT. I'm so sorry for your loss.

McAngie said...

Oh, I'm sorry! I had a kitty for two weeks and bawled my eyes out when we had to have Ms. Millie put down because of something she had that would have eventually killed her. Two weeks! So I can imagine your pain!

Elizabeth said...

You know I am not a dog person but you got me with this post. So sad! I know how much he meant to all of you and to know he was there before Wyatt and Abby makes it even more sad.
So sorry friend, my heart hurts for you.

Heather and Jason said...

Very sweet post for a loved family member. Remember all the great memories you had with him.

Cindy said...

Oh Joy, I am soooo sorry!! I know how hard & sad it is to do that & it's never easy. Hang in there!!!

mommydrinksbecauseyoucry said...

Oh sweetie! I'm so sorry. Pets are our children too. My daughters are in love with our cats and I dred the day I have to make the decision you had to make. I'm so sory for your loss!

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here with tears running down my cheeks!! Our "first born" will be 10 this year, and I can't imagine the day we will have to do the same! It will break all of our hearts, especially Brock's! I am so sorry! I will keep all of you in my thoughts!!

Amber