CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Rain, Rain go away!

So what do you do when it will NOT stop raining outside and you have a couple of rotting bananas on the counter?

You make Banana bread that is what! Especially when you have two adorable helpers.

I had two helpers Wednesday because Wyatt had gotten out of school early for some teacher meeting.

What to do first. Make sure you have all the ingredients needed to make the oh so yummy banana bread. Um Houston we have a problem. No flour, and you have to have flour to make bread. So I call up my trusty neighbor, see we have established a give and take relationship. We like to refer to ourselves as the needy neighbors.

Now to convince Wyatt to go get it, see she is not next door but behind us and when I say behind I mean across the back 40. He agrees when I tell him the rain has pretty much stopped and he can just ride his 4wheeler. Only thing is the rain started again the minute he left and then I felt like a bad mother sending her son out in the rain just so I could have flour to ease my craving for banana bread.

Good thing I have a great neighbor who rewarded him with Reece's cups

So ok now back to that ingredient list.
1 3/4c all purpose flour-she had self rising, I had never used it before in this but it worked just fine I just omitted the next ingredient
3/4t baking soda
1/2t salt
3/4c sugar
1 1/4t cream of tartar
2 eggs
1/2c veg oil
2 bananas make sure they are black and yucky
1/8t vanilla
cinnamon-how ever much you like
Nuts-sometimes we do and sometimes we don't

So remember the neighbor? She had also given us some fresh from the "farm" eggs, ok so it is not a farm but more like a back yard, anyways they have chickens and they have started laying eggs, much to our delight they have shared them with us.


First you mix the dry ingredients, trying to keep them in the bowl.

Then you stop & entertain the baby

Then in a separate bowl mix the rest of the ingredients. Slowly start adding the dry to the wet, be sure to scrape the bowl down.


Stop and remove the baby from the kitchen (yet again) and away from the blinds that are her new fascination. I guess they are funner than the 3,000 toys she has laying in my living room floor

Pour into a loaf pan, I like my stone one. Then and in my house this is a must, but if you prefer you can leave this out, I highly recommend you not do so. You mix cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle over the top. Trust me


Then you bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes. Your house will be filled with yummy smells and you will once again seal the deal with your kids that you are in fact the best mommy in the entire world.


We like it warm with a bit of butter. This bread can serve many purposes-Breakfast, snack, or dessert:) So if my kids eats something for breakfast that they also consider dessert is that a bad thing?

The last piece was eaten by Wyatt this a.m. for breakfast. I am pretty sure I only got 1 piece! Mommy is always the one that misses out.

3 comments:

Tabi said...

Are you sure you don't live in the same area as me??? It has been raining for over a straight week now...non stop!! Driving me crazy!

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

Looks yummy :)

Tiaras said...

my kids love to help to bake!

we just got the rain toady!